Wednesday 21 April 2010

FIRST IMPRESSIONS. A TALE OF LESS PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by ALEXA ADAMS

"Love is in abundance at Longbourn "


Using Alexa Adams 's words … it is nothing less than a fabulous dream come true. Imagine the authoress as a witty fairy with a magic wand, that is her pen. Wish that all the characters in our beloved Pride and Prejudice have the most satisfying destiny and … here you have “First Impressions”. It is indeed a story of less pride and prejudice (as the subtitle annouces) and it is just that what makes the great difference.

In its extremely pleasant “what if “ scenario, the story develops so smoothly and charmingly that it is very difficult to stop and put the book down. From the first “what-if turn” everything goes a different way towards very enjoyable, amusing events. I found myself smiling during my break in the teachers’ room at school, waiting for my husband back from work in the car, queueing at the post office, and this especially because Austen’s witty style is authentically recreated.

In “Pride and Prejudice” Mr Darcy comments his first meeting with Miss Elizabeth Bennet with the words: ”She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men” . And you , of course, know what follows. Much pride and much prejudice prevented both from being immediately happy. But Darcy pronounces other words here:”Very well Bingley. If your partner would be so kind, I would be happy to make the acquaintance of her sister” This changes everything.

Do you believe in love at first sight? Alexa Adams does, so Darcy and Lizzie hit it off immediately dancing together at the Meryton Assembly. First step towards lots of surprises and marriages and unexpected matches. An example? Mary Bennet finds her perfect companion and gets married on the same day as Charles Bingley and her sister Jane. The latter get to their happiness unimpeded and Lydia is safe from the rascal in this story, Mr Whickham, while mischievous and envious Miss Caroline Bingley gets her comeuppance. Mr Collins, Mr & Mrs Bennet keep on the comedy aspect in the plot but lose some of their flaws. Lady Catherine & Ann De Bourgh are less snob and more humane. Ok, I’ll stop here. Maybe I’ve already said too much for someone who wants to read and enjoy this book. I’m sorry, but when I’m led by my enthusiasm I become rather talkative. Maybe too much.

Is there anything I didn’t like? Nothing indeed. But if I have to find something negative to highlight to sound more objective and honest, I might mention a scene: Mr Darcy and Mr Bennet together alone in the old man’s study. Mr Darcy dares speak to Elizabeth’s father about what he cannot accept in their family’s behaviour and suggests solutions. I don’t know why,  but I found the resulting immediate change in Mr Bennet’s personality not very convincing. But going on reading, I liked the new Mr Bennet so much that I forgot that scene. (ch. 11)

What, instead,  I liked very much is a scene involving Mr Collins. It's his proposal to his chosen future bride, one of the Bennets, but not Lizzie this time. Lovely scene!

I recommend this book to all of you loving Austen sequels and what-if stories based on her beloved novels. Alexa Adams's First Impressions will give you some very delightful moments to dream about .


To know more about Alexa Adams
If you want to buy her book click HERE

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Beautiful review! I can't wait to read it!

Miss Haley said...

great review, Interesting concept. Thanks for linking!

Alexa Adams said...

Oh Maria! Thank you so much for the gorgeous review. I love the quote you chose to introduce it: "Love is in abundance at Longbourn." I need to use that one more. It's funny, but the scene you fix upon, between Darcy and Mr. Bennet, I had an extremely hard time writing. I never was perfectly satisfied with it. On the other hand, Mr. Collins proposal scene seemed to write itself. Some things just work. I'm ecstatic!

JaneGS said...

This sounds like an absolutely charming book--looking forward to reading it soon.

I would venture to say that Alexa is definitely a "glass is half full" type of person! :)